Friday, October 23, 2009

Happy Birthday Kimber!




Most people know I have a Kimber. Most know that we were acquaintances in junior high, friends in highschool, roommates in college, served simultaneous missions, got engaged around the same time, got married a week apart and were each other’s maid of honor. Most people see her at all the important occasions of my life and me at all of hers. But I’m betting that when it comes to me and Kimber and what our friendship is like, most people don’t know the half of it.

First off, Kimber and her family have carted me around on their family vacations since I was sixteen and haven’t stopped. Even after I was married with several children, they took me to Cabo, Mexico for a week of what can only be described as heaven. Her sweet mother treats me like another one of her kids, which makes me feel so honored. Knowing Kimber has given me a whole second fabulous family, and I already had a good one!

I guess you have to understand that when we met, we were polar opposites. Kimber was a tall blonde popular cheerleader, and I was kind of a nerd from a giant family who didn’t have any money. Plus, I was all timid and conservative and she is a big-time thrill seeker. If we hadn’t both been members of the church, I’m positive our paths would NEVER have crossed. But Kimber never seemed to care about status. I’m not sure she even knew she had any.

One time, in college, our roommates were planning a skiing trip. I was actually a pretty okay skier, but the money I made waitressing barely paid my bills and I couldn’t afford a lift ticket. I told Kimber to go and have fun and that was the last I thought of it. That night Kimber came to the Mexican restaurant where I worked and asked to be seated in my section. She ordered dinner, all alone (I seriously thought she was just bored), but after she left there was a 65 dollar tip on my table – exactly the cost of a lift ticket. She has always done things like this; found ways to include me without flaunting or making me feel like I owe her something. Instead, she just makes me feel like she really wants me there, and I love that. Just a few weeks ago, in fact, she enrolled my 4-year-old in a gymnastics class, without my permission. I would not have had the money to do that for him, and it is the highlight of his week, every week. And, for fifteen years she has been loaning me cute clothes to wear whenever I ask for them. In fact, I just borrowed a lovely little outfit last Sunday!

A couple birthdays ago, Kimber surprised me by organizing a girl’s weekend away in Utah with our college roommates. It was amazing. If I go into detail, this post will be so much longer than it already is. She also threw me a surprise birthday party when I turned 30, and has thrown me at least two baby showers and a bridal shower. That poor girl has had to be my husband many times since he got busy with medical school. She witnessed the births of my children, held my hand during ultrasounds. She has even had me and my kids over for weekend slumber parties when my husband was on out-of-state rotations. She is my best remedy for missing him, and she always seems to know when I need that. And the list of day-to-day mundane favors she does for me is endless. Like two nights ago when she took all four of my kids (including a newborn) and put them to bed at her house so my husband and I could go to the U2 concert.

I have had so many good friends over the years, but usually life takes them away to another place for whatever reason. I don’t know how or why, but Kimber has always stayed close – and close by. I know it’s rare, and I feel really, really lucky. Some friends stay friends so long, they're more like family. I absolute consider her an important part of mine. And I hope she has a happy birthday.
























8 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm so happy that you're blessed with such a good friend, and that someone else is blessed with your awesome company too! Kimber I love you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you and Kimber have each other. You're both lucky! (and this is the second time I'm posting this; your blog never accepts my comments, I think you did that on purpose) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. True Dat Tami, and I did think I knew the half of it! You guys are true bosom buddies and I'm glad I've been included in a little way, you don't give yourself enough credit though Tami, you're not a charity case lady! Anyhoo Happy Birthday Sucka Lova!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhhhhhhhhh!!! That was sooooo sweet Tami, I just wish everyone could see it from my side and how you have done WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more for me!!! Seriously I am so lucky to have YOU in my life. I think very few people will ever in their lifetime find a friendship like ours. We are so lucky!! Your the BEST friend EVER!! I love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having a great friend like that makes all the difference in the world. You two are too cute together and can tell that you always have fun together. I LOVE the pic of you two in your wedding dresses!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tami! I am lovin' your blog! I have finally decided to get back in the world of blogging..I missed the journaling and stuff. I am glad you have such a good friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so, so lucky to have each other. I have always wished I had a friend like that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gotta love beautiful blonde best buds!! What a neat tribute to Kimber!

    ReplyDelete